Coombe is a licensed Devon wedding venue
Deep in the Devon countryside, there is nothing quite like getting married at Coombe. The countryside and whole feeling of Coombe add a lightness to the event whilst the history and grandeur of the house means that the wedding is still rooted in reality and serious in the right places.
Coombe Farmhouse and Cider Barn are inseparable components of the wedding experience here. Every couple who has been married at Coombe has stayed in the farmhouse with close friends and family the night before their wedding here and then again afterwards, sometimes for a few days. It always struck us that gathering best friends and family together in one place for a hectic day then disappearing was somewhat wasteful. So now we only book barn and house together - wedding and honeymoon or part of the honeymoon all in one place.
Our Wedding Package PDF Downloads - right click to save.
- Wedding Packages and Rates
- detailed information and rates
- Wedding Leaflet and Map
- information and directions for guests
Wedding dates available relates to the number of guests attending your wedding in 2014 see below:
No. of guests
|20||All year round|
|21 - 41||
9th May - 22 Sept.
Any weekend between these dates that is available in our holiday calendar.
|42 - 100||
What makes an eco wedding?
We promote eco-weddings - which are weddings that are as environmentally sustainable as is possible.
Here are some of the ways in which an eco wedding is sustainable as well as some suggestions:
- Encourage people to access Coombe by train - 2-2.5 hours from London, 1 hr from Bristol, or by bus. It is a 15 min taxi ride from Tiverton Parkway railway station / bus station. Please see our transport page for further details.
- Separation of compostables/glass/cardboard/tins etc.
- Cutlery and cooking utensils to be washed with biodegradable detergents/soaps, or use 'vegware' biodegradable cutlery, cups, plates, etc.
- Bar and caterers to use local organic produce so far as possible. Please see a list of local caterers and drinks provider on our Food, drink, and flowers page
- Flowers and decorations: please source local flowers (ideally grown locally in Devon/Cornwall) - please see our Food, drink, and flowers page for more details. You are also welcome to gather greenery from our forests such as ivy and ferns (not from the gardens please).
- Cake: see our Food, drink, and flowers page for details of a local cake maker.
- Invitations on the web where possible rather than paper cards.
- Wedding rings: we recommend that you source ethically mined metals, and ethically sourced diamonds, etc. We can recommended local jeweller, Silver Lion jewellers in Exeter - Tel: 01392 495 994. After researching various metals at length we concluded that Paladium (a Platinum derivative) was a sure ethical bet because it is only mined in unionised mines, one in Canada and one in South Africa.
- Wedding clothes: we recommend that you hire your clothes if possible (if the men can hire why not the ladies in this age of equality?), if you are getting your clothes made then please be mindful of using organic and ethically sourced material, if you are buying your clothes then please source ethically produced clothes made from organic materials wherever possible. Please also consider the possibility of finding a used or vintage wedding dress - immaculate dresses are available at a fraction of the cost of a new dress.
- Why not visit the Eco Chic Boutique for a range of suitable wedding gifts.
- Wedding present list: why not sign up for Oxfams weddings list and your guests can buy you trees, books, goats and water supplies for Africa. Encourage your guests to ethically source the presents they buy you.
- Honeymoon: why not have your honeymoon here at Coombe. Try to stay within the UK without flying if possible.
- We have recently installed an 80 khw wood burner to replace all our gas and oil requirements and 5.5 kilowatt PV solar electricity generator to deliver clean green power. We would ask you to conserve your power usage as much as is reasonably possible.
- Solar tubes to heat swimming pool and farmhouse hot water.
Whilst the 'legal' marriage service must by law be held indoors, weather permitting there's a beautiful glade under the oldest oak tree in the forest where more personalised ceremonies have been held. We are in contact with an expert in ancient marriage rites, who is happy to advise on and/or perform the ceremony - please see our ceremony page.
The Stone circle with a fire in the centre is a great alternative out door space for an outdoor ceremony and very close to the barn, the back doors of the barn lead down to the Stone circle.
Residential Wedding Venue
Coombe farm is also a residential wedding venue suitable for large group accommodation. The farmhouse and annex combined sleep up to 20 people and can be hired as part of a wedding package.. The main farmhouse Sleeps 16 with space around big kitchen table to accommodate everyone eating together. Also accommodation in the Annex is available for sleeping 2-6 people - it's a 20 sec walk from the farmhouse. The house itself is also a licensed wedding venue.
Check out availability of the house here.
Thatched Cider Barn Wedding Venue
Our Wedding packages include hire of the recently renovated 17th Century Cider / Threshing Barn with traditional cob walls and thatch roof. The barn is a licensed wedding venue and is available from 3pm Friday to 12 noon Monday. It accommodates about 70 people and is also available weekdays, at same rate, for other purposes such as a games room or event venue.
Wedding related services
We can either arrange or provide information on all conceivable wedding related services. The pages on the menu to your left have all the information that you should need to know. If there is anything you can't find about or if you have something alternative you wish to enquire about then please contact us directly on our contact page here >>
Some information about the more common necessities of a wedding are as follows:
B & B's and self catering accommodation: Please see further details on our extra accommodation page.
Toilets: We will provide clean, comfortable eco toilets for your guests at no extra charge.
Tables and chairs: we will provide free of charge. You will need to hire in your own glasses, crockery and knives and forks, table cloths.
Caterers: To be hired by you - please see our Food, drink, and flowers page for more details.
Drinks: You can bring your own, or we can hire in a licensed bar. Please see our Food, drink, and flowers page for more details.
Florists: we can provide you with list of local florists who use local flowers wherever possible. Please see our Food, drink, and flowers page for more details.
Camping: There is a camping field next to barn which has eco-toilets and drinking water, together with a fire pitt in the centre of the stone circle with seating. The first barrow of seasoned firewood is free and after that we charge per barrow. Campers have access to all other outside amenities - walks, garden, swimming pool, children's play area etc.
Nuptial yurt: Can be hired on your behalf
Marriage license fee: This is separate to the registrar's fee and contributes towards our cost of obtaining our license.
Hired workers: We can provide local workers for any tasks you may need doing.
Woodland wedding ceremony: Under the old oak tree in the woods is a magical spot for your ceremony. You may decorate the glade and footpaths but need to clear up afterwards as we like to keep the woodlands in their natural state.
Light decoration of the grounds: Light up the pool with floating lanterns - by arrangement. (no lighting lanterns in the sky please a fire risk to the thatched roofs as well as the forest.)
Pre dinner drinks / reception: Cobbled back yard with chimney and BBQ available at no extra charge - house to be closed off for residents only.
Confetti: only petals - no paper confetti, sprinkler, glitter, beads or 'canons'
Candles: we provide metal lanterns, for stability and safety, which can be used in the barn.
Music: amplified music up to 12.00 midnight, thereafter unplugged please.
No fireworks or "lanterns in the sky" please - these not only frighten our organic cow herd and the horses that are on the farm, but are also a fire risk to the thatched roofs as well as the forest.
Make a Wedding Enquiry
To make an enquiry about using Coombe for your wedding then it will be useful for us to know a little bit more information. The below form has some of the most standard questions that will help speed up your enquiry.